VDubber

blogs, builds and banter...

Supercharged 1600 Project

Supercharged 1600 Project
12 March 2013
Don't try this at home kids. Test run in controlled conditions ;)
12 July 2014 ·   6 years ago
Dyno readings at 4/5psi. Approx 77hp at flywheel. Bus is now running 6/7psi so really need to pay another visit to the dyno.
22 May 2013 ·   6 years ago
New idle air bleeds pressed in place
22 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
The finished article - this thing is tiny.
22 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
The idle air bleed circuit is counter-bored and the insert will be pressed in place - kinda like this
22 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
Turned down to 3mm OD and 1mm ID
22 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
Turning down an insert to plug up the air bleed circuit in the Dellorto DHLA 40H Carby
22 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
Shredded belt. Forgot to tighten idler pulley and it moved up against alternator pulley shredding the belt. :(
21 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
Air bleeds on emission model DHLA's are fixed at 2mm (two small holes in centre). Might need to sort these out.
21 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
Smokin!! Me thinks the bus is a bit hot.
20 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
New pulley fitted - no more slip - YAY!!
20 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
Old and new - just need to add a keyway.
20 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
Some time later and I've turned the pulley I found into a new supercharger pulley.
20 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
This is the cause of my belt slip - wrong pulley profile. The pulley supplied with the supercharger is for an A profile belt not a vee belt It's the same kind of pulley as you find on lathes, mills and various machines NOT cars.
20 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
Scored this pulley at the local machine shop - 80mm diameter
20 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
Selection of pulleys - from left to right - random pulley that came in a box of junk with my mill, VW A/C pulley, AMR 500 pulley, Stock VW crank pulley
20 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
Drilling out the jets on the Dellorto. These drills are tiny - the smallest one is 0.3mm
19 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
My temporary second idler pulley - free vice grips with every kit
17 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
Got another clearance issue - bit too close to the alternator connection for my liking. This is an easy fix tho
17 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
Had to add a second idler pulley as the belt was flapping a bit on the un driven side. Still not 100% so looks like I will need to use a sprung pulley. Really hoping to keep the stock pulleys but will have to see if I can fix the slip and also...
Had to add a second idler pulley as the belt was flapping a bit on the un driven side. Still not 100% so looks like I will need to use a sprung pulley. Really hoping to keep the stock pulleys but will have to see if I can fix the slip and also how the belt holds up
More
17 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
Digging the Vintage Speed exhaust
17 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
Design flaw - the vac can on the SVDA is a gnats codgers from the drive belt. Will need to address this on the final version.
16 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
Modifying the SVDA to limit the overall advance. Normally most people opt to bend the tabs in to lock out the dizzy. I opted to drill and tap the tabs so that I could fit grub screws and 'dial in' the overall advance to suit the application.
16 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
New vintage speed exhaust fitted
16 March 2013 ·   7 years ago
No photos available
Drop a file here to upload.
Unable to load tooltip content.